My husband (like the usual men) loves thriller movies. Because of that, Im forced to see freaky movies.. but in the movie “MOTHER!” I watched intently and see every details because it is a “Jennifer Lawrence” movie and the story made me really curious and furious at the same time.
A couple’s relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence. From filmmaker Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream), mother! stars Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer in this riveting psychological thriller about love, devotion and sacrifice.
From this movie description, you’re gonna think that the story is harmless and just an ordinary thriller movie to watch.. but as soon as the movie is done, we felt defeated, more curious and a bit upset in one of the main characters named Him (that time we didn’t know that his name was actually “Him.”) I was so upset that I couldn’t sleep so I had to search about the real meaning of this movie. To my dismay, I found out that the movie is written and directed by an atheist, Darren Aronofsky. Just like his other movies Noah and Black Swan, “mother!” is created in a dark setting with a blasphemous message against God. I can’t sleep well so as soon as I woke up, I wrote this. I do not want to focus on the movie anymore. I just want to respond and remind everyone about the God we love and serve.
After reading this post and you still want to watch the movie, make sure that your faith is bigger than any lies or condemnation this movie offers.
I am writing this post as my way of voicing out my frustration and disappointment to those who blaspheme God. Here is my response to the movie that broke my heart because I know God do not deserve this kind of blasphemy.
1. God cares about me and YOU. When I was a teenager and very frustrated with my life, I ask God to take my life and so we can talk and for me to know why He created me with no direction nor value. I was suicidal.. but He did not take my life. Years passed, everything made sense. He created me to give glory to His name. Despite my brokenness, I humbly bring honor to His name. He planned everything well. All we have to do is trust and obey Him.
I am a product of a broken family. I was molested by my uncle when I was a young child and my grandfather when I was a teenager. At first, the “molest” experience with my uncle was not confirmed by anyone in my family. I thought I was crazy and just imagine these things in my head. My mom and dad didn’t confirm nor deny. All I know is that I feel dirty, unqualified, not valued, unloved and unworthy. I always have bad dreams. When I got married, I finally found out about the truth. I honestly felt betrayed by my own parents for they did not sue my uncle who destroyed me physically, mentally and spiritually. I also hope that other people knew what happened to me so someone else comforted, guided and helped me out in the process.. but no one did. I felt alone and undeserving of anything good… I just want to die.
Fast forward to the life I have now. I am happily married to a husband who spoils me and accepted my past. If I took my own life, I wouldn’t experience how it’s like to be married to someone as nice and loving as my husband. Life may seem to be cruel, dark and questionable at times.. but if we only learn how to trust God FULLY, everything will make sense SOMEDAY. I do not blame God anymore, I just thank Him for I have nothing to boast but His love and mercy that made me sane all throughout these years.
2. God did not destroy His creation, we did. God created everything and saw that it was beautiful. If Adam and Eve got tempted and sinned, it is because they have their own free will and decided to sin against God — kill, steal and destroy. As humans, we do things that destroy nature, making us responsible for every actions we make that destroys the earth. God shouldn’t be blamed by the mistakes we make for even though God gave us the wisdom, we make our own decisions (good and bad.) Good news is that the earth is just TEMPORARY, our PERMANENT HOME is in HEAVEN. So do not fret if we lose our home today, everything here is just temporary.
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21
3. God do not need our worship. Worshipping God is for us. God isn’t some insecure cosmic being, who waits for His worshippers to remind Him how awesome He is and how desperately they need Him before He decides to intervene. God never changes, He constantly loves us.. but when we worship, we change. In worship, we have peace that transcends all understanding. In worship, we empty our minds to hear God more. In worship, we give God everything (worries, problems, ourselves) so we can make room for more of Him. In worship, we declare that our lives are not ours but we are created to bring honor to Him alone.
4. Jesus died for us — we did not sacrifice Him. God sent His son, Jesus Christ to die for our sins. We did not have the power to sacrifice Him, Jesus gave His life for us because He wants to redeem us and cleanse us from our unrighteousness.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8–9
We cannot say that we have been saved and will go to Heaven because we have served God, we are a good person or we have been giving to the church. No! We are saved because of Jesus’ death on the cross, not because of our good works. In this way, no one can boast about his own salvation.
5. God is an all-knowing God. He is not like humans who make mistakes. I will stand by this. God is not like us who makes mistakes. He is a loving God who spoils and gives us what we need or want but He is also a God of justice. The fact that God is just can also provide you with peace when you are dealing with difficulties in your life or witnessing painful injustice. You can be confident that God’s justice will ultimately prevail. The fact that the all-powerful and all-knowing God is also just means that evil will ultimately be dealt with authoritatively and decisively.
When life simply does not make sense, we must look to Him who is the Author and the Finisher of our faith, to Him who has a great cosmic plan, a plan to reveal His glory and to accomplish that which is good for His people. We must trust in Him who is all-wise and who is also all powerful.
I am really sad and frustrated right now. I know I am also not perfect, I probably also blasphemed God in one way or another. I may have sinned more than the director of this movie.. but I am here, pleading everyone of you to be very careful in the movies you watch and allow to touch your hearts and soul. May we be more vigilant to check the movies that our kids watch. May those who have the opportunity to produce movies create better ones. May those who have a big influence in our country be more careful in the words he/she uses in addressing God. Because the God I know do not deserve your disrespectful mouth!
Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death. Leviticus 24 : 16